- They say no to opportunities and things that don’t excite them, speak to their values or further their mission in life.
- They say no to superficial networking events in which people swap business cards and never hear from one another. Why? Because successful people don’t network. They build relationships.
- They say no to spending time with uninspiring, critical, or negative people who drag them down. Time is precious — choose a small circle of people who will energize you and challenge you to be better.
- They say no to overworking. While it’s true some successful people and many entrepreneurs put in 60 to 80 hours per week, very successful people aren’t workaholics who neglect self-care and family. They recognize that if they can’t take care of themselves, everything else suffers.
- They say no to doing all the work. This comes down to one word:
- They say no to giving the steering wheel of life to anyone else. Another Buffett quote affirms this: “You’ve gotta keep control of your time and you can’t unless you say no. You can’t let people set your agenda in life.”
- They say no to people-pleasing. Successful people don’t neglect their deepest wishes and desires to accommodate and yield to others’ wants and desires.
For us, the goal of Financial Freedom will give us the ability to say no to these seven instances. That’s the definition of freedom for us. Being able to say no to jobs that are uninteresting to us, don’t excite us, and not allow us to be in complete control of what we want to do on a daily basis. Now the goal isn’t to achieve this and sit around all day. It is an opportunity for us to do work that is interesting to us and fuels us to do more. Unfortunately, individuals who don’t have the ability to be free are pushed around by bosses and coworkers every week. Doing jobs that they are uninterested in. This is something tunaman and I are working to be free from. It won’t happen quickly. But with patience and hard work I am confident we will achieve our goal of Financial Freedom.
Categories: Financial Advice